Virtual Meetup: Hands on session with the Glamorous Toolkit

I am very happy to announce our next Virtual Meetup, this Thursday, the 15th of October.

Tudor Gîrba is going to present an hand-on session on the Glamorous Toolkit (https://gtoolkit.com/).

In this session we get to play with Glamorous Toolkit from the perspective of a couple of concrete scenarios, such as:

• Browsing the file system
  • Analyzing a JavaScript system
  • Working with a remote API

To prepare for the session, the audience is encouraged to:

• Download Glamorous Toolkit: Glamorous Toolkit
  • Go through the tour slideshow from inside the environment (follow the yellow sign)
  • If not familiar with Pharo, go through the Pharo 101 slideshow from the environment​

Tudor is the CEO of feenk.com and has worked for many years on this direction. After obtaining his PhD from the University of Bern he has worked on Pharo and Moose to later introduce the concept of “Moldable development”, which is now at the basis of Glamorous Toolkit.

How to connect

After the summer we moved the meetup one hour earlier! From now on we will host them at this time.

If this is your first meetup you will find all the instructions to connect here:

(Long story short: click here Launch Meeting - Zoom)

It is hosted on Zoom at 6PM GMT+2/CEST (you can use this link to figure out which time is in your timezone: Dateful Time Zone Converter).

2 Likes

Oh, that’s interesting! I can’t join at that time though - will it be recorded?

Unfortunately no, we never record these meetups

Hi,

Thank you for hosting this live session and for participating, too :slight_smile:

I promised to send a few links regarding how people can learn more about Glamorous Toolkit and how they can engage with us.

We launched recently a community on Discord:

We share out news on:

Material for learning GT:

• in the distribution there are a number of slideshows and live documents
  • Our blog: blog.feenk.com

Please do feel free to ask questions. I’d be happy to answer.

Cheers,
Tudor

why not? you could offer the videos to your members as exclusive content

Hi @Jeshan !
I receive that question 1-2 times per week, so I just created this post to explain the reasons On recording Virtual Meetups

If you mean “exclusive content for members of this community, which can be joined for free”, I think it would be interesting. However if you meant “exclusive paid content” then I would not do that because I feel it would not be fair for the presenter. We can continue this discussion in the other post if you wish, but here I would focus on Glamorous Toolkit :slight_smile:

Thank you, it has been amazing!

Thank you for the links and all the best for the GT Community!

Perhaps we could share our experiences organizing communities :slight_smile:

The presentation of yesterday was great!

These are some of the notes I have taken.

Tudor showed us how we could easily develop low-cost projections to work with data as needed.

For example:

• We could have a view of a JSON file in which the file is loaded and can be navigated through a tree view
  • We could open a PNG file as an image, or using an hex editor
  • We could potentially have a view for an image which uses OCR to derive a string or a view of a PDF that extracts tables and provide them in a table view

We also saw simple transformations. For example, an a URL we could perform an HTTP request and get the content.

In this environment several parsers are used, to analyze existing code.

The tool itself contains a live slideshow.

There are three main usages for the tool:

• It is a great tool for software assessment. This is something in which Feenk has great experience
  • Support executable specifications: Feenk works with startups to build executable models and iterate quickly
  • Customer environments, that users can use to answer questions themselves on their data

Another possible use is to reverse engineer API

Hello, Tudor.

During the meetup, you mentioned the first live-session you organized Tuesday 13th. I was browsing the GT channel in Discord, but I was unable to find the video for that session. Can you send us the URL?

Thanks a lot for the meetups about GToolkit.

1 Like

I think it would be great if Tudor @girba could give us some details (little explanation, links, …) about how would be possible to use GToolkit for reverse engineering API.

I am glad you liked it :).

Thanks for the summary.

@oscaretu On the main tab, there is a slideshow entitled “Working with a REST API” that provides an introduction.

In the next live session of GT, to be held next Tuesday at 5PM (organized through the GT Discord), we will be demoing this as one of the use cases for working with the moldable inspector.

1 Like

This seems a great use case. Great alternative to playing with Postman, copying JSON somewhere and writing scripts all to experiment with APIs

Another thing I liked was the viewer to show the AST of any JavaScript file that is in the directory

Another thing I liked was the viewer to show the AST of any JavaScript file that is in the directory

That is actually a generic view that works with any AST. For example, here we see on the left a simple parser written in ANTLR4. Then we parse the parser definition, and on the right we browse the AST of the definition of that parser :slight_smile:.

1 Like

You can find the first live session information in

The video URL:

2 Likes

The video for second live session of Glamorous Toolkit at Discord:

2 Likes

The video for the third live session about Glamorous Toolkit:

@girba , I assumed that the conferences were on Tuesdays, and when I went online some minutes ago I saw that the session had already taken place yesterday.

1 Like