Virtual meetup every Thursday: you are all invited

Google event invite sent!

Missed the poll completely. Is this still a Thursday evening event?

Yes, it has been confirmed to go on every Thursdsay at 7 PM CEST

Va bene. I’ll see if I can join every once in a while, but not won’t be weekly.

Hey everyone. First, a big thanks to @ftomassetti for organizing everything.

I’ve noticed that these meetups are “by design” not being recorded.

While I understand the spirit of that idea (encouraging direct communication), for the meetups like today’s one, where there will be an actual presenter which will do a demo of a specific (until this moment totally unknown to me) technology, there will fewer interactions (by the nature of the thing being, and I quote “a tutorial”).

As with others, 7PM is not a great time for me since it’s family dinner time. I don’t expect everyone to accommodate me of course, but recording the sessions like this one for later consumption is IMO a very simple way to make this community accessible to even wider spectrum of people.

In any case, greetings to everyone from the south of France!

5 Likes

My pleasure! This community is been proving very useful for me too

It is not just that: is that people feel a bit more reluctant in presenting if these conversations are recorded. Also, being a “closed” community, presenters sometimes share things that they would not be comfortable sharing with a larger audience, like the occasional remark on a confidential project. This becomes more complicated if we record the conversation.

I personally would consider problematic to record just some of the conversations because participants would be confused (“I thought also presentation X was going to be recorded!”) and it could lead to pressure to presenters to agreeing on recording the presentation.

In this particular case there was a lot of interaction and we went also well over time because of this :slight_smile:

I understand your issue, and you are not only one having this issue. For people in America this time fall in the middle of their working day and some time it is an issue, for people in Asia is just too late (and in fact no one participate from East to Europe). For people in Northern Europe this comes right after dinner, for people in Southern Europe it comes just before (and sometimes delay the dinner :D), for people in other countries it comes right at dinner time.

We also tried having a poll to evaluate other times but this came out as the preferred time.

I am not an experienced community manager and I am figuring out things as we go but it is clear that every solution we can find has drawbacks for many persons.

I think these meetings are different from recorded tutorials because of the conversations which are going on. We could encourage speakers to later record a version of the tutorial, perhaps considering the feedback emerged during the conversation in the Virtual Meetup.

I would be happy to do whatever I can to help presenters record and share these tutorials.

Regarding this particular presentation there are websites where you can find relevant information: the best starting point is probably this one:
http://www.metaborg.org

Nice! Where in the South of France? I lived for a while in Lyon and I was hoping to spend the summer in France this year, before COVID-19 came up :slight_smile:

The best part :wink: Cote d’Azur. Specifically, Antibes-Juan Les Pins, very close to Cannes.

You may still consider it. We had very low number of cases in the area, despite fears of the opposite due to the proximity to Italy (we’re literally 50km from the border). If I’m not mistaken, you’re barely 4 hours away by car, should be real easy to get here.

If you do come over and you’re in the area, please ping me if you’re interested to meet. I am a small business owner and a software geek with a passion for parsing like yourself, we may have a few things to talk about :smile: over some nice cold Rosé (assuming you’re into that kind of thing).

This is an excellent idea. It’s a win-win: the meetup serves them as a kind-of “focus group” except the participants are skilled and ask the right questions :smile: which leads to top-notch recorded version.

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful response.

1 Like

I spent a couple of summer in that area (BIOT)

I had booked a vacation in Brittany & Normandy but I have canceled. I will go in the mountains, 30 minutes from Briançon

I hope I will get the chance one day!

You bet! :smiley:

My pleasure! I am looking forward to a lot of interesting conversations. Thank you for joining the community

Note that we moved the time to be one hour earlier from September!

We updated the link. See details here:

I haven’t attended any of the Virtual Meetups, else I’d know the answer to this question: How long are these meetups? (30 minutes, 60?)

Many thanks.

About 60 minutes (or slighty longer)

1 Like

As Oscar replied 60 minutes (and we go overtime quite often), but please note that we pause the meetups for the summer

1 Like

Will there be a meetup today? It’s September, after all (-:

1 Like

Unfortunately no, but we will resume next week!

1 Like

@ftomassetti is there a way to get announcements for the week’s topic sooner? Due to the timing of events and my location, I can not attend all meetups (as much as I’d like to). Some days I just have to take other meetings. But this week (link) for example, I would have liked to shift my schedule and joined, but I didn’t have enough of a notice.

If we can get +24 (or more) hours notice, that would help me A TON! And possibly enable more involvement from the community.

Thanks for all you do!

Hi @lyle,

thank you for your feedback!

We usually put out on Strumenta Linkedin and Twitter on Tuesday the title of the meetup every week or on Federico Linkedin and Twitter as well, and on Wednesday we send out the emails and publish to the community the title, the abstract and the biography.

Rarely happens that we receive the information later from the speakers or they ask to amend something at the last minute, in this case, the communication goes out a bit later, but this is out of our control.

Thank you for your feedback, we will try to do our best to accommodate all the requests and make things better for the community, I hope you understand this is not always in our hands.

Thank you,
Elisa

1 Like

Hi @lyle , thank you for the feedback: it is hard to stress how valuable is for us to year from the community!
For your question, @elisa.costantini has already replied better that I could, so I have nothing to add on this. I wanted just to stress that this is important to us and we are taking this in account while planning the next season of the Virtual Meetup

1 Like

ninjacombo99@gmail.com