Who should we invite to speak in the Virtual Meetups?

This post is intended to contain your suggestions on people to invite.

These suggestions will then be discussed by the editorial board, which is currently composed by me (@ftomassetti , @Niko , and @PaulSpencer )

3 Likes

Hello, Editorial Board! :wink:

I suggest a meetup with somebody with knowledge about:

• DrRacket
  • LLVM

Kind regards,
Oscar

3 Likes

I was going to mention the Racket/Common Lisp/Clojure track that I find interesting (as long as it’s just a sprinkle among other fields/topics).
Names that come to my mind:

• Eli Barzilay (Racket)
  • Kent Pitman (Common Lisp – with a more historic/philosophical angle)
  • Nick Levine (Common Lisp – with a more industrial-oriented angle)
  • Rich Hickey (Clojure)

Generally, the term “DSL” is widely used in the Lisp camp but with a meaning which is not quite the same as we use here, though the core tenet (bringing the level of abstraction closer to the application domain) is the same.

Personally, I’m also interested in languages specialized in computer music, music composition, live performances/coding, and similar. There appears to be quite an overlap with the Lisp/Scheme/Clojure community in this space, but I don’t know the name of any potential speakers, and it would be probably stretching the DSL theme a bit too thin anyway.

1 Like

Did we have talks on Epsilon and MontiCore?

1 Like

I think we did not

It could be really interesting to get Richard Feldman to give a talk on the Roc language. Not sure how realistic it would be, but if there is interest, I could reach out to him and ask.

2 Likes

Yes, I think it would be great. I think that this community gives us also an excuse to reach out people we admire. So if you can please go ahead and let’s see what happens

Richard Feldman is trying very interesting things with roc, the language he is writing. I saw several talks about it. I recommend these two to have a grasp of what he is doing:

Outperforming Imperative with Pure Functional Languages
A Taste of Roc

As a quick summary:

• A high-level functional programming language inspired by Elm
  • Same or close performance to system programming languages (Rust, C)
  • Native binaries
  • Cross compiler
  • Division between platform and application. The platform is the low-level layer API and providing services to the application to implement the side effects.
  • The platforms are written in Rust or Zig and are domain specific (for example, a platform to create a web server, or desktop apps)

I think Richard could give a great talk

1 Like

I talked to him and he would be happy to give a talk.
I guess they are about the figure out a good date.

Hi Alessio,
I’ve reached all the people you mentioned last year already, I’ve got an answer from Eli Barzilay, and we are trying to plan for a talk, but all the others from your list never reply. Of course, if someone from the community is in contact with them, they may introduce the community and be a point of contact.
Please let me know!
Thank,
Elisa