Virtual Meetup: "Domain-oriented Modeling with MuDForM, turning art into engineering "

Hi Community,

I am happy to announce that this Thursday (the 24th of March), Robert Deckers will hold the discussion about “Domain-oriented Modeling with MuDForM, turning art into engineering”.

Also, remember that we changed the link to join the Meetup!

To enable the people involved in a software development process to communicate and reason close to their area of knowledge, we are developing a method to formalize and integrate knowledge of multiple domains into domain models and into specifications in terms of those domain models. A domain model captures knowledge about a domain and can be used as the underlying (meta)model of a DSL. People often perceive that domain modeling is an art, and requires years of experience. Modelers and domain experts gather around a whiteboard, and after some tome, magically a model appears. With MuDForM, Robert Deckers breaks with this perception. In the last seven years he has worked on MuDForM. MuDForM is a systematic approach in which knowledge stated in natural language is transformed in unambiguous models. It has an explicit metamodel and definition of method steps, and provides many guidelines for those steps. Furthermore, MuDForM addresses some major issues of current domain modeling approaches. During this presentation, Robert will present the method and some examples. (Next week’s presentation will be about the MPS-based tool that supports MuDForM and the specification of model-based tests.)

Robert Deckers is an external PhD candidate at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the Netherlands. He has been working on code generation, model interpreters and specification methods since 1991. He has developed and applied specification languages, modelling methods, and supporting tools. He has been active as an architect and consultant in architecture, domain modeling, and requirements at all organizational levels. Robert is author of the book "DYA|Software, architecture approach for mission critical applications’’. Robert teaches software architecture and domain modeling at universities and companies. In 2013, he has started his own company to devote himself to MDD, because "the world must understand that software development is about integrating knowledge and not about realizing technology’’. More info available at www.linkedin.com/in/robertdeckers/.

Registration for the Virtual Meetup

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. It will also permit you to add it to your calendar.

Time

It is hosted on Zoom at 6 PM GMT+1/CEST (you can use this link to figure out which time is in your timezone: Dateful Time Zone Converter).

Event hint

I am also happy to extend the invitation to the Thematic Workshop on Systems Engineering, Wednesday 11th May at King’s College London​organised by MDENet, (https://community.mde-network.org/posts/21560727) at the 11th of May, at King’s College London.

This one-day event taking place on Wednesday 11th May as an in-person session at King’s College London aims to improve mutual understanding of research challenges and opportunities for MDE to help address problems in a particular thematic area. Our goal is that the workshop can spark collaborations between people in different areas. MDENet offers a range of funding opportunities to support the further development of such collaborations.​​

Cheers,
Elisa

P.S. We get a recurring question: “Are presentations recorded?”. The answer is not, and the reasons are explained here On recording Virtual Meetups - #7 by voelter

Hi, here are the slides in pdf.
If you want to know more about MuDForM or have a disccusion about modeling and methods in particular, then feel free to contact me at robert.deckers@atomfreeit.com.
Domain modeling for Strumenta v7.pdf (1.1 MB)

Here there is the chat transcript:

17:49:30 From Rene to Everyone:
Hello!
17:49:38 From Federico Tomassetti to Everyone:
Hello!
17:50:31 From Rene to Everyone:
Web dev is driving me nuts, can I come design a DSL?
17:51:12 From Federico Tomassetti to Everyone:
Ah ah, yes but sometimes we design dsl in the browser, so web dev will haunt you :smile:
17:51:51 From Rene to Everyone:
I’m dealing with the PEOPLE and shuffling json between services that all goto the same DB
17:55:50 From Rene to Everyone:
:face_with_head_bandage:
18:01:31 From Federico Tomassetti to Mike Cargal(Direct Message):
hi Mike, do you have problems connecting?
18:01:58 From Mike Cargal to Federico Tomassetti(Direct Message):
yeah, a bit… pretty sure the problems are local’
18:02:55 From Óscar Fernandez Sierra to Everyone:
You don’t hear me when I speak, but I think it’s a problem in my computer.
18:04:02 From Paul Spencer to Everyone:
I was not able to connect with my normal speakers, but my headphones worked … which was weird …
18:07:02 From Federico Tomassetti to Everyone:
My suspicion that Zoom is running into problems today seems confirmed… sorry about that
18:07:49 From Peter Wasilko to Everyone:
Does Rome go to Daylight Savings Time?
18:08:18 From Federico Tomassetti to Everyone:
Yes indeed, in the week-end we are going to switch, so that will affect the next meetings
18:26:51 From Rene to Everyone:
Maybe I missed it, but are textual neural networks used to extract this information from the original sentences? In the same way gpt3 does?
18:27:12 From Federico Tomassetti to Everyone:
I think the work is done manually
18:27:39 From Federico Tomassetti to Everyone:
Next time they will present a tool, but today the focus is on the method and I think it could be applied manually
18:27:58 From Rene to Everyone:
Ok, i see
18:28:10 From Angelo Hulshout to Everyone:
This is manual work indeed. It might be automated, but doing the analysis in the way Robert describes requires context interpretation that I haven’t seen GPT3 c.s. do.
18:28:41 From Jennek Geels to Everyone:
the tool is ‘augmentation style’ where the human does the decision making and the tool does the bookkeeping. more next week
18:29:24 From Rene to Everyone:
Ok, I see. Right, I can imagine they are completely different implentations.
18:29:56 From Angelo Hulshout to Everyone:
Ah, Jennek is here too. Long time no see!
18:30:10 From Jennek Geels to Everyone:
letting the humans make the decisions triggers a valuable conversation among the stakeholders in order to arrive actively at model agreement
18:32:01 From Jennek Geels to Everyone:
Hi Angelo, yeah 8th code generation conference in Cambridge was the last time we talked…
18:32:37 From Rene to Everyone:
Ok, instead of a neural net magically coming up with something. Can this model be used to also generate functions? “something is process” becomes a function?
18:32:44 From Angelo Hulshout to Everyone:
:-o Time to catch up. Come by in Milano some time.
18:34:52 From Jennek Geels to Everyone:
functions as in “what should happen” (requirements) will come, based on the domain model as “what can happen”
18:35:43 From Jennek Geels to Everyone:
KISS
18:35:57 From Federico Tomassetti to Everyone:
Thank you Jennek!
18:36:11 From Jennek Geels to Everyone:
world famous in the Netherlands in the 1990
18:36:16 From Rene to Everyone:
“Device has capability” becomes a function within Device class model?
18:36:25 From Federico Tomassetti to Everyone:
yes, I think I have heard it from you in the past
18:36:30 From Peter Wasilko to Everyone:
Is that the Keep It Simple Stupid acronym?
18:36:54 From Peter Wasilko to Everyone:
(rather popular in the States)
18:37:00 From Jennek Geels to Everyone:
actually Kristen Information & Software Services
18:37:19 From Jennek Geels to Everyone:
Gerald Kristen being the founder
18:37:26 From Angelo Hulshout to Everyone:
@Rene: look at the diagram. It converts into a structure - A device with an aggregation of capabilities, not a function.
18:38:02 From Peter Wasilko to Everyone:
Thanks @Jennek, I didn’t want to assume the expansion!
18:38:06 From Mike Cargal to Everyone:
No… today it would be a “Blockchain backed blah blah model”
18:51:56 From Sofia Meacham to Everyone:
have you published any paper on literature review for domain modeling?
18:52:48 From Paul Spencer to Everyone:
https://research.vu.nl/ws/portalfiles/portal/134852826/SLRROBERT.pdf
19:00:26 From Rene to Everyone:
Looks like this takes the ambiguity of requirements documents and makes them more accurate to the code that will need to be written, and show people that they need to be clearer about what they want.
19:01:07 From Jennek Geels to Everyone:
this re-engineering is the case I will present next week
19:01:09 From Angelo Hulshout to Everyone:
That was once the goal, mission accomplished.
19:01:56 From Rene to Everyone:
Right, because re-engineering is very time consuming after some code has been written for a month by 12 people.
19:02:50 From Peter Wasilko to Everyone:
Do you have a preferred grammar representation formalism? (e.g. Categorial Grammars, CFG’s, PEG’s, etc.)
19:04:50 From Paul Spencer to Everyone:
ubiquitous language
19:06:24 From Sofia Meacham to Everyone:
yes but the software people will have to implement it ! so some knowledge…
19:06:41 From Sofia Meacham to Everyone:
would help in my opinion
19:07:37 From Angelo Hulshout to Everyone:
Grab the mic Peter :wink:
19:07:59 From Jennek Geels to Everyone:
tool is MPS based
19:08:11 From Rene to Everyone:
Very good! Keep up the good work and make my job obsolete!
19:08:36 From Peter Wasilko to Everyone:
Thanks so much for the talk!
19:09:16 From Sofia Meacham to Everyone:
Thanks! great talk
19:10:16 From Angelo Hulshout to Everyone:
Grazie mille!
19:10:29 From Paul Spencer to Everyone:
thanks! until next week!

1 Like