đź‘‹ I'm Daniel Gregoire, it's wonderful to be here!

Hi everyone!

I’m a natural language nerd at heart. I really enjoy linguistics and have studied many languages (some only for the enjoyment of experiencing a new grammar). My native language is English; Russian is my strongest second language; and then I’ve studied a host of other European languages as well as Modern Standard Arabic. The latest new language I’ve perused is Esperanto, which has gone on pause while I try to improve my Modern Greek.

As for computer languages, I’ve been working in software for 11+ years, primarily in Clojure since 2013. I’ve always enjoyed exploring new languages of various paradigms, and have found myself coming back to DSL development, micro declarative/data-focused languages, and concatenative languages year after year when tackling different problems.

I’m currently working on what I’m calling a driver-editor, for editing Clojure code in a projectional fashion by issuing commands (rather than supporting in situ edits of the source like MPS). Its UI is currently browser-based, but the graph manipulation code is cross-platform Clojure (currently using its built-in functional zippers) and the intent is to keep it a “static” s-expression editing environment, rather than a live development environment. If I manage to bring it to a point of reasonable completeness, I’ll try to integrate it with existing editor environments as a complementary editing approach.

The other areas I’ve found deeply interesting the last few years have been array-based languages like J and APL, especially with Iverson’s focus on using these tools to teach and explore mathematics. In a similar vein, learning TLA+ has opened my mind to the power of expressing software
system specifications using relatively rudimentary mathematical tools coupled with a language parser that verifies that at least the math is syntactically sane. That coupled with the power of its TLC model checker has made it an interesting ground for exploring ideas at the level of logic and sets, without getting bogged down in the particulars of one or another programming language’s runtime. (And of course, since it’s Leslie Lamport’s work, it integrates with LaTeX and produces nice PDFs of your spec :nerd_face:)

I’m looking forward to vetting ideas and sharing feedback with what looks like a first-class group of intelligent, engaged, and considerate people. Thanks for including me!

Regards,
Daniel Gregoire

2 Likes