Hi, I'm Miklós Jánoska

Hi,

The brief: I’m Miklós Jánoska, Hungarian chap, doing programming, later broader IT since the first C64 I had to tweak to have Impossible mission behave - that was Basic and '85. Having three boys living in Budapest, Hungary. People usually classify me as a renaissance man for the unrelated interests I have, I like Wing-Tsun kung fu, math to the last breath, kundalini yoga and broadly speaking stretching the limits of any theory in practice :slight_smile:

Professionally: growing up after Basic I made some living on writing viruses and anti-viruses in x86 asm, I think that was the first time when metaprogramming got me one might say. Polymorphic, intelligently self-modifying and yet minimal resource code.
Then came the era of Pascal, Delphi and no internet yet: related stuff is writing a hypertext like language to build up knowledge bases (I guess like everyone at that time '96). After doing some sys operator and admin work, with a few chaps we wrote an automation system (you’d call now RPA) to pull off our whole night shifts, a substantial challenge on thinking on compact and concise notations to describe workflows (and that was already the MDD and executable UML - '99-'2003), sadly we couldn’t secure Rational licenses.
Then came an interesting project to centralize all of a retail bank’s front systems, but given the complexity (and the resource reductions) we had to be smart an invent a metalanguage to describe both entities, validations and their workflows (for the desktop app) to then generate DB2, ILE RPG code, messages as well as UI and behavior (Delphi 6 at its best).
Spent some time on Java later, enough to decide that C# was more mature :stuck_out_tongue: . By now I could say I’m a fan of Hejlsberg’s languages. Stayed on the .Net track and had quite a few interesting DSL projects around 2009-10, textual/visual done by Visual Studio’s isolated shell environment including one that used Gherkin to create an onion of semantic layers from business requirements down to web execution - it wasn’t without problems but worked o(1) in practice.
My recent years were spent on bringing more semantics to the architecture practice, instead of using endless reference materials focus on discovering cohesion in dependency networks. I firmly believe that software is less engineering and more of design.
My very current and related interest in DSLs are architecture description languages (and not the Zed type), moderately lossy semantic translations in the solution lifecycle, sub-graph pattern matching and an RPG modernization kit (into .Net :smile:).

Disclaimer: most of my professional work is under my workplace’s NDA, sometimes
I cannot expose enough details in conversations.

5 Likes