A virtual meetup

As prejudice has it, as geeks we are all probably not very eager to meet other humans. However with social distancing approaching worldwide I do think we should facilitate some kind of virtual interaction.
Personally, I can say that I do have a need for that.

So how about we organize some kind of regular get together, virtual of course, where we chat about stuff and show each other some cool demos? We’d arrange a regular time, and get together via some screen sharing/video conferencing service. And we plan a little bit about the topics in advance, but use it more or less as a virtual coffee break.

Opinions?

6 Likes

I’m in. I’m a member of CodeControl.io and we start exactly that there as well - once every 1 or 2 weeks. We can do the same here. Half an hour on a fixed time and day would work.

I think it would be great!

Regarding time, should we pick something that works for Europeans, right?
During the working hours, the lunch break or the evening?
Should we aim for once a week?
Should we use google meet?

1. at least initially.
  2. I would start with in the evening.
  3. yes
  4. I have no experience with Google meet, but I don’t have a better idea. Anybody knows how to set this up?

The tools I use are Google Meet and Zoom. Zoom may be more reliable however it requires a client, so people may prefer Google Meet. One can simply schedule a recurring event from Google Calendar and select the option for “Hangout Meet”. Then one could invite people. Anyone with the link to the meeting can request to join, but the creator of the meeting must be present to allow them to enter, I think.

I think with Zoom you can use the option to allow people to enter the meeting even if the host is not yet there.

Sounds like it could be fun…

Steffen

1 Like

Zoom requires a paid plan for meetings with > 3 people and 40+ minutes, so Google Meet seems better suited.

1 Like

True, but I have a zoom subscription, in case it comes useful

So should we try using this Federico?

By this you mean Zoom? If so I can schedule a meeting and share the meeting link here.

I think we just need to pick a day and a time.
Should it be 6PM? Sooner? Later?
Should it be tomorrow? Thursday? Friday?

Personal preference: 7 pm, Thursday. Most people should be after work, and it doesn’t interfere with weekend activities (once we can have them again).

Thursday 7pm CET? Sure, why not. @ftomassetti, will you post a link?

1 Like

Here is the link:

I set it up as a weekly recurring meeting. It should be possible to join also if I am not there.

If someone could try to join even now we can be sure it works as expected.

If you want I can send you also the calendar invitation for this, just let me know which email address I should use.

Various instructions by Zoom:

Meeting ID: 278 156 178

One tap mobile
+390200667245,278156178# Italy
+3902124128823,278156178# Italy

Dial by your location
+39 020 066 7245 Italy
+39 021 241 28 823 Italy
+39 069 480 6488 Italy
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 278 156 178
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aefCpQXeXe

3 Likes

I’d like the calendar invitation on jos.warmer@openmodeling.nl

calendar invitation sent

I don’t think you want to send an invitation to everybody personally, right? Meeting works, just tried.

Good that meeting works!

Everyone can join directly using the link, without a calendar invitation, but if someone wants the calendar invitation for having a regular reminder I can send to them. If the number increases a lot I can stop doing that, but so far we have 1 person invited (Jos)

Two topics on this:

1. Planning/agenda
    Would each meetup have a free agenda where everyone could talk about anything?
    Would a “core theme” be specified for each (or just some) meetup? (some free agenda time is always necessary)

2. Recording
    Will these meetups be recorded and the recording made available somewhere?
    Maybe not all meetups, but those where some specific subject is to be discussed?

If the participants want it to be recorded I could record it easily and then share it with the people interested. My concern here is that participants could want to share things not precisely confidential but perhaps not exactly public, like showing internal demos. In that case, I imagine participants would not want the meetings to be recorded.

In my opinion would be best not to record the meetings, so that everyone can feel more relaxed. If the participants decide otherwise for me recording is just clicking a button in the zoom interface.

2 Likes

Could I get a calendar invitation as well? I have a premium zoom account through my work email. acouch@damianoglobal.com