POC for Low code platforms and DSL integration

Sorry @iandrich for the broken link ! the replay is available there : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7iM9Z6TGG4

and sorry for my late answer, I just saw your comment !

For now the discussion is around Generative Objects as a low code platform for modelling and generating what @voelter would call “boring” data driven applications :slight_smile: but the question was raised and answered during the presentation around how to make it a generic low code platform that can be used to create specific low code platform (thus having full control on the meta model for modeling applications and the associated generation templates). This is my ultimate goal ! You can join the forum I’ve created to discuss around Generative Objects in general and open source low code technology in particular. You can raise this topic of making a workbench out of Generative Objects in the Vision category

I thought of doing all these discussions in this strumenta forum, but there will be much more going on on this new forum, also all the support part around the use of the Generative Objects technology and the contribution as a developer. And I wanted this forum to be fully public. You can access the forum here : https://forum.generativeobjects.com, feel free to join !

However I believe there is overlap between the strumenta forum and the Generative Objects Forum. @ftomassetti , we potentially can see how to create bridges between the 2 forums for common discussions. What do you think ?

For information, the plan is to licence Generative Objects as A-GPL, the Generative Objects metamodel as A-GPL, and keep the generated applications as fully free. So that anyone can use Generative Objects to create commercial applications, but every evolution of the Generative Objects platform itself have to be published as A-GPL too. And I am not planning on a double commercial / AGPL licence, giving everyone the right to use Generative Objects technology to do business.

I would appreciate your feedback on this licensing choice !

1 Like

Done :slight_smile:

Yes, I think there could be an overlap. I am not sure how that bridge could work. We can have conversations here about Generative Objects which could encourage people to join the Generative Objects forum, and viceversa, I think. Did you have something different in mind?

1 Like

Yes @ftomassetti we can promote each other’s forums when it makes sense. For instance, there is the whole R&D team of the lowcomote project who are interested in low-code technology that I believe would have a great interest to join your forum.

Also, it would be a matter of cross referencing posts in both forum when it makes sense.

However it would help if your forum would be open, and not only for people who subscribed, would it be an option for you to open your forum so that anyone could read the content ? This could potentially raise awareness and bring more interest, and content would be then indexed by google, making it visible for search engines. Any reason you keep it private ?

I thought about that, also because I think it would be useful for people to find these discussions when searching for answers around these themes. I am just not sure if participants would feel more reluctant to freely discuss if the forum was public

1 Like

Would you personnally feel more reluctant to freely discuss ? This could be the answer about weither opening or not the forum. To feel for yourself and trust your own intuition that what ever you feel inside is the right thing to do.

If I reflect on this for myself, on a similar subject about a choice to make : I can see that 10 years back, I already had this intuition to go open source, it was very clear for me that this is the way to go for me. And yet I waited for 10 years, because I was afraid of beeing stolen what I was putting so much effort creating. It is OK that I am open sourcing just now, I was probably not ready yet … But I now know that my intuition 10 years back was true. This is why I am now going fully in and I am now following more my intuition than my mind !

I hope I am not going to far here and that you are welcoming my comment ! Please tell me otherwise :slight_smile:

Sometimes yes. I do not share confidential information here, but sometimes I may share something that it should not necessarily be available to everyone

No problem. I am also a supporter of sharing: I have hundreds of article and open-source projects, and I work for the most part in the open, so I think that in general that is the right direction to go

About opening the forum: I wouldn’t hesitate to post in a more open forum.
However, I see one other concern: Malicious “members”. I heard quite a few stories now where people joined communities and brought their own agenda in (that might be totally unrelated to the communities’ topics) and effectively destroyed the community. I think the invite-only style limits this danger a bit.

1 Like

Yes good point. Although it can be detected ? and such people banned ? coming with an agenda can be pretty obvious. But yes this is an issue and more work to moderate the forum … Maybe an extensive enough introduction could be mandatory before being accepted as a writer ? Or even writer as invitation only ? and keep it all open for read?

Based on my previous experiences, this is possible and not always as easy to avoid as it seems in theory. I would suggest we all keep our eyes open regarding negative behaviors and we are ready to ban people out, when necessary

The good thing is that this forum is very technical, so only an expert could actually be doing this without being seen !