Low-code platforms and metamodeling "standard"

In my view, most platforms calling themselves “low code platforms” are pretty limited as they propose their own model to represent an application that is set in stone and cannot be changed by users.

This way, the low code platforms are restricted to generate the type of applications they were designed for, naming : data driven management applications. Yes they allow to address any functional domain, but no, they don’t allow to create any type of application.

Another limitation of most low code platforms (I say most because I don’t know them all, but I imagine it be close to all of them) is that they are limited to create applications following their technological stack and architecture, which is a big barrier to adoption for IT Departments.

Low code platforms in general are not workbenches or model driven environments as such, but merely specific out of the shelf platforms designed for a specific task, and to be used as such.

What I believe we need is a new “meta low code” approach, new generation of low code platforms, combining the business user friendliness of low code platforms with the versality of a true model driven approach.

This is what I am doing with Generative Objects (GO), and this is built into the product since inception. Until now, GO was used as a classical low code platform externally and as a meta platform internally to GO, but I have now finalized all the wiring to actually offer the meta side of the platform to users. And I am just now am about to package and finalize the first open source “Meta low code” platform of history :slight_smile:

I have written a post describing the meta low code approach : Generative Objects (GO), introducing the Meta Low Code approach