Hello, My Name is Alex Couch

Hey everyone! Glad to be here! My name is Alex Couch (pronounced like the furniture, don’t be fooled :wink:). I’m a software engineer for Damiano Global. I am 22 years old, and I still live with my parents. I work from home making a decent income so I help out with bills and such. I also have Crohn’s disease, so I could live on my own but I’ve been suffering some pancreatitis this past year so living on my own may not be the best thing to do.

My main role as a software engineer with Damiano Global is to write backend solutions for our cloud software called the DGNet Watchdog Cloud. It allows you to have a nice clean cloud based monitor and control panel for your IoT devices, from smart fridges to conferencing devices to maintanance devices. I help do the research into API’s, systems, architecture, libraries, solutions, etc and help design and review architecture, and even implement architecture into production code. We mostly use Python for this but unfortunately, Python does not scale. Which is where Beagle comes into play.

I’ll make a separate post about Beagle and its fundamental concepts such as type ignorance, def macros, vcs scripts, hardware specific modules (similar to kotlin’s platform specific modules but for hardware, like x86, arm7, 808x, wasm, android, ios, etc), abstraction tools, and much more. Beagle started out as a “I want to just design a language but take my time and do it right” kind of thing. After several nasty encounters with Python (one of which was a fight with its lack of support for proper byte arithmetic), I finally decided to try and make a “better python”. Beagle is definitely not a better Python, but it started out that way. Now it’s, in my honest and biased opinion, an amazing thing I’m creating.

Our backend software may be, at any given time, shipped to a raspberry pi or an x86 machine (windows, linux, etc). Also, we have several modules, and hundreds perhaps tens of thousands (perhaps more) of lines of code. Python’s lack of scalability is really showing. We have to have programming standards put into place for forward compatibility, self documentation (besides UML models and flowcharts), self debugging code, readability standards, etc. We could just switch to a language that is closer to the hardware, but we’re not worried about being close to the hardware. We want to be in a simple environment where we can get things done quickly. That’s the upside, but with that kind of upside, there are great downfalls. Beagle is the product of our struggles. However, Beagle is not a DGC project, it is my own project.

I’ll look forward to seeing this community grow! I also will be sharing my kotlinx-llvm project here soon!

6 Likes

Hey Alex, really interesting, I look forward to the article about Beagle! It’s impressive that you’re doing all of that at such a young age. Also, I wish you better health!

3 Likes

Hey Alessio,
Thanks! I’ve been programming for almost 10 years now, and ever since I was a little kid, I’ve been interested in language design, mostly natural language before computers came along. I remember having a notebook filled with natural languages, and even inventing my own (symbols, grammar, semantics, everything) wayyyy before I became a programmer. I even remember the first thing I made “without tutorials” was a very simple parsing engine for functional game dialog scripts (that actually worked I was so proud of myself).

I did write about a couple of stuff regarding Beagle, if you wanna go check them out! And I will be writing more as time goes by.

2 Likes