Domain Modeling: how to do that?

Very interesting. Is there a collaborative tooling where the users can suggest abstract/concrete syntax extension to the language, or the suggestions are purely in natural language? I’m thinking something in the line of suggestion you would made to e.g. an online document you are collaboratively editing with other participants. I guess that would require a deeper knowledge of the language engineering from the regular language users, but just curious how far this can go.

What a co-incidence: just arrived from the morning session in which language engineer modified the abstract syntax while others (6) model and comment at the same time. My experiences are on MetaEdit+, and depending on the rights given for metamodeling, also language users may try their ideas (like modify concrete syntax or define generators) beforehand to make better informed suggestions.

If the aim is to make suggestions only (and not actually access and change the language definition), a good way has been to add such feature to the language itself. For example, having a special concept to enter suggestions and link this concept with the rest of the language. This way suggestions are in a direct context with language use (compared to separate documents) and language engineers can trace and see how their creation (=language) is applied. Been part of the language they also get then nicely versioned along with rest of the models too.

We learned this from users, and it is also reported in a bit more detail e.g. by Panasonic using “Joker” (http://www.dsmforum.org/events/DSM07/papers/safa.pdf). Language engineers can then see all “Joker” elements at once, filter them and trace to related language usage cases. Such concepts can also be applied for asking guidance, clarifications etc.

3 Likes

Why not invite Robert to this forum? I talked to him today and he would love to participate.

I am strongly in favor of inviting everyone you think would be interested in these topics: you can invite them to http://strumenta.community so they can decide if they are interested and if they fill the form we can invite them (GDPR and stuff…)

I’ll send him an invitation.

1 Like